Friday, March 20, 2009

Day 2 - Calcutta


What a difference 10 or 11 hours sleep will do for jet lag. I woke up this morning feeling great and ready to go! But at 6:30 nothing is open, except my little restaurant -so I went there to get more coffee and breakfast (I had Tibetan bread and honey, and a tomato and cheese omelet), and read the local English paper.

Then I took a rickshaw (man powered) to Mother Teressas place, called Mothers House. It was a simple building, and a simple museum, but VERY impressive. I'm glad I went.

Then when I left, I was going to walk a while, and came to a new bank with an ATM. I went in, tried it - and it said "how much money you want Johnny"! GLORY, Hallelullah!!! So my card works at that bank - I hope there are more of them.

So with money in my future and in my pocket, I set out to get a SIM card for my phone and a train ticket to Darjeeling.

I went to the phone place , and was told I needed a copy of passport - which I had, and a copy of my Indian VISA in my passport, which I didn't have. So I got copies made and returned to the shop. Then I was told I needed a small photo - which I had, then I was told I needed my room receipt with a stamped stamp on it. With a smile (remember I had just been to Mother Teressas) I went back to my room, got my first nights receipt but it was not stamped, so I went over to my old hotel and got the manager to stamp it with his rubber stamp.
Returning to the shop I was then told if I wanted to keep my receipt I needed to get a copy of it, so I went and got a copy. Then I signed about 8 pages and signed the page with my photo stapled to it so that my signature was half on the paper and half on the photo, but I had to make sure that I did not write over my face.
And that was it - I got my SIM card and now have a Indian phone. All toll - it cost $3.20 and I bought $1.10 worth of time. (untill I see how it works to call home ). They told me the cost to call the states is 4 rubees, and there are 50 rubees to the dollar. So I'll see. -- Now to figure out the time here and there!

Then I went and ordered my train ticket for Saturday nite. It leaves Calcutta at 11.50 pm. and takes 10 hours. I paid a travel agent commission and the entire ticket cost $7.00. And that night I won't need a hotel room, the train is a sleeper. The old fashioned kind, but I think with out even curtans. just a bunk .

At lunch I met two young people - boy/girl from California who are here on a mission trip from there church. They are here for two months. They work in a school for street children. Very interesting.

Its 6:30 pm - going to supper -
God bless
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home