Saturday, April 4, 2009

April 5, 2009 - Mount Everest !



This morning I left the hotel early, and went to airport for a mountain flight that would take me to and around Mount Everest.

The Kathmandu airport did not disappoint me .... it seemed total wild, and security - well .... with a pace maker I'm not supposed to go thru metal detectors because the unit sets off the alarm. Well, it could have set off the alarm when I went thru but it was so noisy - no one could hear it! So, I just kept going.

The flight took an hour, and the view of the Himalayas was really something to see. They are BIG - and there are a lot of mountains.

I flew on Buddha air - picture of wing tip shown here.

Some history of the mountain being climbed:
1. G.H.L.Mallory was the first to answer why he wanted to climb Everest...
"BECAUSE IT IS THERE". He died on the mountain in 1924.

2. Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were first people to climb to the summit on May 29, 1953.
The leader of that expedition was John Hunt., but he and the other 10 men of the expedition were soon lost in history with Hillary and Norgay going on to fame and fortune.

Okay, all for now - I'm back in the world of Kathmandu and headed to visit some historical sites.
from the Himalayas
Johnny

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Seems like so much fun. Book your trip with Wonders of Tibet is a Tibetan owned agency offering everest base camp tips & tours at the reasonable price.

September 8, 2018 at 2:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Trekking is always been my fantasy and to explore the beautiful views and in winter. Travel agencies such as Wonders of Tibet through which one can go for Tibet tour and enjoy your trip.

February 17, 2019 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home