Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Day 7 - Darjeeling, India



This morning it was COLD. My" cold clothing plan" was not going to work today, because I was sending one set of clothing to the laundry. So ... nothing to do but go shopping.

Walking and looking I found a little stall on the sidewalk selling pants. I found a pair of heavy corduroy and asked the price - 150 rubees the lady said. That's three dollars! I looked harder, found a pair large enough to just slip over my pants, and I put them on, paid the lady and continued on my way, a little bit warmer. Now for socks, gloves, and a hat. I found the socks for 40 cents, the gloves for 50 cents and paid $2.00 for a knit hat with a little Himalaya look.

So in about 30 minutes , my shopping was over, my body warmer! I may look for a sweater if it doesn't warm up.

Then I met my Irish friends at the train station, and we took a 2-hour trip on the famous "Toy Train of Darjeeling". I'm sure you have heard of it. It is a narrow gauge train (about 2 feet between rails) and a coal burning steam engine.

I was beginning to feel a little better, at least warmer, and returned to hotel, had coffee in restaurant and called it a day. Still suffering from what I call altitude sickness, but also feeling I was getting well.
Looking forward to tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home