Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 3 &4 - Night Train to Siliguri

I took a night train out of Calcutta to a small town of Siliguri. I'm on my way to the mountains.

The night trains here are all Sleeper cars, and have 4 classes. There is a First, Second and Third Class Air Conditioned, and then there is "sleeper" class. I went "sleeper". In "sleeper" class you get a bunk, no linen, and bunks are three high, 6 per semi compartment. I say semi because there is no wall between the aisle and the bunks. There are 2 bunks across the aisle from mine, so I am in close company with 7 other people.

With the bunks laid out there is no place to "BE", except laying on your bunk. But I love it when a plan comes together!!!..... From the prone position, I pulled out my socks, my windbreaker, my silk sheet, my book night light, and my book, put it all together, and Voila - there I was, laid out in my little world of comfort, the windows down, the wind whipping through the car, and clickety click and sway of the train. IT WAS GREAT! you should've been there!

Then about a hour later - we met a another train coming in the opposite direction, and we passed at high speed -"very"- close to each other. With the windows UP, this always causes the train to sway and rock , but with the windows down !! -- the initial gust of wind from the on coming train ---- well, it blew my sheet off! .... and caused little out cries of fear throughout the entire car!

So anyway - I got a few hours sleep, some good reading time, and arrived in Siguri about 11 in the morning. Oh yea, the ticket was 350 Rubees. $7.00 for 11 hour train and hotel room.

All for now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home