Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Monday in Guatemala.

This morning we got had a nice breakfast at the Hotel Virginia, about an hour inside Guatemala.

I had mentioned several times to Tim that I never had made it thru Gutemala City without getting lost. So when we set off for Guatemala City, (all roads lead to the capital) I began again preparing Tim for Guatemala City.

We arrived on the edge of the city about 11:20 and at about 11:50 I asked Tim to pull into a Pollo Campero Fried chicken restaurant, and we would eat lunch (I love their chicken) and I would ask directions on how to get to the highway we wanted. We successfully did that. I spoke with a table of young people and after much discussion among themselves and fingers pointing in all directions and many corrections of each other they all decided on the route and a young lady took my notebook and pen and drew me a map.

Armed now with my homemade map, we set off, down a four lane street of heavy traffic. Just to make sure we were right, I had Tim stop again and ask a man how to go to Puerto Barrios (our highway). He confirmed the directions and off we went, and ..... we missed the turn we were to make! So I just said go down and turn around, and we'll get it coming back. Well, the next turn around was 25 minutes away!!!! Boy, talk about testing patience! ... But we made it back, got on the correct road that all we had to do was drive straight. No turns. However, in about 5 minutes I knew we were once again lost! We stopped, asked, got directions and took off. I realized, however, that after a few minutes we were LOST again. So, once again we stopped and asked, and got directions that did in fact take us out of Guatemala City and toward Honduras.

One thing I have learned about driving thru Guatemala City is that when you think you are lost, YOU ARE, so stop and ask!

We had made it thru the City! Then Tim asked how much further to Rio Honda. I had no idea. I said I know it is down this highway, and we just had to drive til we got there.

We got to Rio Hondo in about 2 1/2 hours, Guatemala City had taken 3 1/2 hours. It was grueling day, but very successful. From here on in it would be a breeze.

Good night from Rio Hondo, Guatemala, very near to Honduras.

Johnny

1 Comments:

Blogger Pops said...

You guys are awesome steely-eyed world travelers. Sounds like your perseverance & patients are coming in handy. I look forward to traveling with you on this blog-keep it up.
Bob H.

February 18, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home