Sunday, April 12, 2009

April 11 & 12th, Pokhara, Nepal

Saturday morning, two young people and I left Bandipur and took a jeep taxi down the mountain to the main highway. There we caught a bus to Pokhara. The young people had enjoyed the ride on top of the bus earlier so much that they asked could we ride on top for a lesser fare. Answer - 'Yes'.

The young people definitely keep life interesting and fun!

So up we go, but this time with "more experience" we get situated and a little comfortable BEFORE the bus takes off! It was to be a 2-hour ride.

It was a "three bus breakdown" ride that took over 4 hours. One time we had to change buses. It was easy - we just stepped over to the roof of the replacement bus. This trip ended up costing me 100 rupees, $1.20 ... so although tiring .. it was definitely an interesting ride.

When we arrived in Pokhara, we went to a hotel recommended by some men we met in Bandipur, the Hotel Avocado. The manager told us the price and the Spaniard hit the ceiling, saying "NO , NO!" that was too much, that our friend had said it was less. I went and looked at the room and took it! They ended up going somewhere else. I saw them later, they are paying the same as I am!

The room at the Hotel Avocado is the best room I have had so far. It is clean, has 10 to 12 foot ceilings, is a corner room with a lot of windows (with screens and latches), an overhead fan, hot water showers during daylight (solar heating and very hot), toilet with a seat ACTUALLY ATTACHED, a mirror, and for the first time in over three weeks, a bed with a top and bottom sheet.
All other hotels have just had a bottom sheet, so my travel silk sleep bag has really come in handy.

Oh yea, The Hotel Avocato cost me $3.20 a night.

This is also a tourist town, so there are a lot of restaurants and many of them have interesting menus. One thing, everywhere, and I can not figure out why, nor get explained is why two fried eggs cost 25 rupees, a two egg omelet cost 30 rupees, but SCRAMBLED eggs always cost double - 50 to 60 rupees.

There is always Lazzniya (or other varied spellings)on the menu - that's Lasagna. One of my favorite dishes are "Mo Mo's". I think these are Tibetan. They are similar to Italian ravioli and you can have then fried or steamed. Good either way. A local restaurant has them for 50 rupees, a tourist restaurant has them for 200 rupees.

I have some photos, but I also have a problem with the computer or my camera, so I will try later to upload some photos.
Thanks for being here with me,
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home