Sunday, January 10, 2010

Train ride to Chiang Mai

I hung out in Bangkok, mostly in the lobby of the hotel I had stayed in the night before. They let me leave my pack there during the day. But at 9 I went to the train station and my train was there and ready for boarding - so on I went. The berths were already made up so there was no sitting area, just sleeping and/or laying down. I was kinda bushed from a day on the street, so up into my top berth I went with my new book. OOOHHHH it was so comfortable and cool. I had a 2nd class sleeper with AC.

I had a cup of coffee at the hotel before I left, and it must have been super caffeine because at midnight I was still awake and reading and felt great. I think if Anna had a cup of that coffee she would be awake for five days!

This morning, while still in my berth, I got a cup of coffee delivered, and then about 8:30, when the berths were put up and the seats and tables were back in place, I had a good breakfast.

The train was on time leaving - but we managed to get an hour and half behind schedule, so did not arrive in Chiang Mai until 1:30 p.m...

I got a room at Ben's Guest house with fan and hot water and bathroom for $6.20.

Am meeting some people here tonight, then tomorrow onward to ChiangRai.

Pictures are of a small train station on the way to Chiang Mai

inside sleeper car

....my little world.

later

Johnny

1 Comments:

Blogger Milam Family said...

Hey Papa Africa,Betsy and I are enjoying your blog posts. I wish I was with you on this trip also. Maybe one day I can take another trip with you. Sounds like the prices are better in Thailand and the food probably is also. Have a great time. -Dan

January 10, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home