Saturday, April 25, 2009

April 25, 2009 - Jaisalmer, India





Yesterday afternoon I left Old Delhi train station on a 10 to 11 hour ride to Jaisalmer. I got a good night's sleep, rattle of the train, the wind in the windows, and the jerky herky motion of the train.

I awoke this morning about 6 and was thinking I had 2 hours to have some chai (hot milk tea), and maybe catch a snack if the vendor would come through, and time to read up on the town I was going to and decide which hotel to try first.

Of course, the first thing that struck me was the change in scenery. We had gone from flat farm land and greenery, to rocky, hilly, dry, brown desert! Then I saw a house sitting in the shade under some large trees, and it reminded me of the time me and Brook Sheldon, and on another trip, me and Randy Booth, had been in the desert of Northern Kenya.... And in the afternoon, after a long hot day, we would go sit in the shade at the house and order us a cold STONEY TANGAWEZIE. Now that is a soft drink that has a little "bite" of - ginger. And if you take too big of a gulp - it will backfire in your throat ... and come roaring out of your nose!!!! You need to drink Stoney like a gentleman! ... or it'll get ya.

Then I noticed the dust/sand that started building up on all the seats and our clothing. This had happened to me and Hans Beck in Mauritania when we rode "the longest train" in world out into the middle of the Saharan desert. Fond memories.

I did not even know there was a desert in India til this trip.

But anyway - yada, yada, yada ...it took 21 hours to reach Jaisalmer!!! And it is hot, it was hot, and I guess will be hot.
I got a nice hotel room with bath, (don't need hot water - but I got it) an overhead fan, and a desert evaporative cooler blowing over the bed. It does a little good, and believe me - every bit counts here. Room is 150 rupees - $3.00. Will send photos tomorrow.

As you can see by the photos, I also think I could get a job in the interior hotel sign painting and editing business. However, at $3.00 per room, I think they're getting all they can afford now!

They're very nice people.

So tomorrow I go exploring the FORT - Anna would love it. And maybe set up a trip to spend the night in the Indian desert . (got to find out the name of the desert !!)

All from here for now - I'm right proud to be off the train , ...... but it's travel that I came to do - and it's traveling I'm gettin'.
later,
Johnny

4 Comments:

Blogger Pops said...

Its the Thar Desert. Glad to be of help.

April 25, 2009 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger Pops said...

Pops is what my grandson will call me. I forgot its my default signature. Bob Hodges

April 26, 2009 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

thanks for the info Bob. Its so hot outside, I never think about what the place is called until I sit down at the computer!
From the Thar
Johnny

April 28, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger samsanddunesdesertsafaricamps said...

Great job for publishing such a nice article. Your article isn’t only useful but it is additionally really informative. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us.desert safari jaisalmer package

February 3, 2021 at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home