Friday, April 17, 2009

Night train to Agra - April 16/17

Yesterday I told you they were having elections in India. That was true, but the elections did not include the entire country. I found out today.

The country is so large, the army and police so understaffed, and terrorist and revolutionist so prevalent, that the election is held on 4 days over a month's time. This allows the police and soldiers to keep closer security for the voters and the poll locations.

I was, also, told that I should not try to travel by bus, because the government had had to use so many of them, and will continue to use them, to move soldiers and police around the country.
It has totally disrupted long distant bus travel. ...... So I am told.

Last night I left Varanasi, and not an hour too soon to suit me. I had a sleeper berth. That's the one with NO amenities. None.... but I'll tell you what it is like. Imagine this ... If you were on a long plane ride, or a long train ride - sitting upright in a chair and the stewardess or conductor came by and told you that it would okay if you took all three or four seats and just stretched out as you pleased. ... You know what - you 'd be ecstatic, and you would be sure to tell all your friends about getting to lay flat on a 10-hour flight!!!

Well, that is what Sleeper class is! with the windows rolled down and the fans blowing and the wind whirling thru the car. One difference is the sleeper is better, because the entire seat is flat - no bumps and armrest.

We were also served dinner! Had to order when conductor came by, and he returned in about an hour with a tray of rice, beans, vegetable, and 3 chipaties (flour tortillas)

Also - my lucky night - I had my compartment to myself. No other travelers. Nice. The weather was warm, so I never used my silk sheet or my socks.

It was just a great evening.

I am now in Agra, home of the Taj Mahal. I was surprised to find out that there is the largest FORT in India overlooking the Taj Mahal. I thought of Anna when I saw the fort and knew she would not miss seeing that. But I could see the Taj today from my hotel. It's very close to my hotel. The urban setting just runs right up to the wall. ..... but it is closed on Friday. So tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. I hope to be there to see the sun rise over the Tal Majal! smile - smile. You gotta do what you're supposed to with places like this!

Goodnight from near the Taj Mahal
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home