Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April 21, 2009 A few more things from Agra.


I keep forgetting about the cows. You've heard that cows just wander around everywhere. ... WELL, guess what - they do. A cow here, a cow there, cows everywhere. Not in herds, just singles, wandering around town, laying around, and for sure -"pooping around!" A LOT.
In my last blog from Agra I forgot a few things, not important, just I think, insightful into life in this country.
My favorite restaurant was TREATS, and as his sign inside said - "serving healthy food with love"! Now how can you not like a place like that? Also - what makes me like his place are the prices, as you can see in the picture for breakfast, 25 rupees equals 50 cents.

One day I took a Rickshaw over to the big fort. My driver was Moona, he was 60 years old, been doing this work since he was 16. Several times on the way over he had to get off the bike and push, explaining that it was up hill, and it was, .... but it was also HOT -hot and he was peddling a flunky ole bike and the chain kept slipping!!! One time,I just got out and walked with him until he made me get back in. I think he was afraid of losing his job. He rents the bike for a percentage of revenue. I'm sure he did not have much choice about his life's work, and now it's tough. After haggling with him over the price to begin with, I ended up giving him a nice tip that almost doubled the previously negotiated - settled on price.
Buying train tickets in Agra was also a trying experience. To begin with - slow computers - then an occasional high wind, and lost internet, then the clincher, at some of the critical points such as having just paid, and before you can print ticket, the electricity goes off, and stays off, and the battery backups - are - oh, no - surprise - not charged!!
I also can not get these pictures to line up right. Sorry bout that , but thanks for taking time to view the log.
I doing great, and enjoying every frustrating thing that happens!!!!!
Johnny - April 21,





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home