Monday, January 11, 2010

Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai-Monday

Monday morning I set out to find a bus to Chiang Rai. I got a "red taxi" which is something between a real truck and a motor scooter. It has a truck bed, with a shelter over the top which comes down so far, you can really see out except the road right next to truck. You must bend way over to see any sites - unless you just look out the back where you've just been.

The bus station was very nice, with clean bathrooms for a 3 baht charge (about a dime), but well worth it compared to some places I've been! They also had a "left luggage" room where for 50 cents you can leave your backpack. Because of bomb scares, these are no longer available in the U.S., and they are very nice.

I found the Chiang Rai bus ticket office, got in line and soon had a ticket on the 11 a.m. bus. It left in 2 hours, so I was glad of the left luggage place. Ticket cost 156 baht, a little over $5.00, was air conditioned and I got an assigned seat.

I found a restaurant close by and ate a Brunch meal before traveling. The travel time was said to be three hours, but having just come from Africa a few months ago, I decided to eat before travel.

I got a plate of fried vegetables and white rice for 30 baht, ($1.00). That is quickly becoming my favorite meal. Then back to the bus station and onto my bus.

WOW - it was delux! The Air conditioning really worked. The bus even had seat belts, though no one wore them. I finally decided I wasn't going to be the only one to use them, so - no seat belt for me.

There was a stewardess, and she passed out bottled water and Oriole cookies. The highways were excellent and travel smooth and on time, 3 hours. We stopped midway, a fairly nice station, with traditional food stall and stores around the edge.

All in all - what a country. Beautiful, clean, efficient, and inexpensive.

Pictures are of my breakfast at Bens Guest house - very nice,



and the bus station,



and the clock tower in ChiangRai.



I met with some friends last night, today hope to meet with two men that I traveled with in Laos several years ago.

Today, Tuesday, I will move on to Laos or at least to the Border.
all for now.
Johnny

1 Comments:

Blogger Pops said...

Hey Johnny...Saw Anna at Heritage Sunday.We were there for a visit as my bro inlaw is now lead pastor. It reminded me you were tripping so I went to your blog-awesome as usual. Too bad you won't be in Chaing Khong in April for the Giant Catfish Festival!

January 15, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home