Saturday, January 16, 2010

Chiang Mai, Thailand - Friday Jan. 15, 2010

(I am now lost in a time warp!! This blog got lost somewhere between here and Moultrie, so this is what I did 2 and 3 days ago.

And when this blog does post, the date is for yesterday, not now, it's Sunday morning here. I am in the future - so to speak. The international date line does wonders to change one's perspective on what we think today is!)


Yesterday I took a bus from Chiang Khong back down to Chiang Mai, where I was 4 days ago!
The bus yesterday was actually a "tourist van", very new, clean, air conditioned and full of tourist. ..13 actually. There was one other American, a single woman traveling alone, from Oregon.

As on my other travels, the largest group of travelers are single women! Very few Americans, most are Europeans. On this van there were three.

I arrived in Chiang Mai about 5:30 p.m. This is a bad time to arrive as most good inexpensive (BUDGET) guest houses are taken. This was true yesterday. My first 3 choices were full, so I went to my "book" and found one that was on the edge of town. I called, it had a vacancy. I jumped on a tut toot, and went there.

The place, the DUN DUN Guest House, had a good restaurant but dumpy "budget" rooms.
275 Baht ($8.33) for a plywood box with two windows, a bed and a fan. It had shared toilet and showers which were in good shape.

Now the good part was it was run by and American, married to a Thai, and the restaurant showed his influence. They had a hamburger on the menu and I discussed this with the owner, about how the bun had to be correct for it to be a good burger. He agreed and showed me the buns - they were genuine sesame seed hamburger buns!! I ordered one for supper, and it was DELICIOUS.

Today, I left early and walked back into the center of town and found a nice place for 180 baht ($5.45) with an attached bath and hot water and a pretty courtyard. Much better. But I can only have it for two nights, and I will need to find another place.

I have pictures today of my Breakfast and lunch plate I spoke of yesterday. Chicken and rice picture is what I had for breakfast, then went back for lunch and ordered the special and got the same thing.


Also, a picture of an American breakfast


and a Thai breakfast.



One picture is of Buddhist monks coming by the restaurant I was at in morning for their daily Alms, I guess. They had the owner's full attention for a while.



The last pictures are of my $5.33 guest house that I got today. The room showing the fan and bath,


and the room showing my bed,


and one showing the garden court yard.


at the barber's



Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand.

I am here waiting to get a permit that will allow me to travel to and into the refugee camps along the Myanmar (Burma) border. The camps are for "Hill Tribe people" that have been run out of Myanmar due to civil war and a harsh and violent government. There is a real human tragedy going on in that country so when an opportunity arose that I could travel there, I decided to go.

So - all for now
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home