Monday, January 18, 2010

Still in Chiang Mai-The Food Channel!

I am enduring 3 "slow" days.

On Wednesday, tomorrow!, I will travel with a Burmese expatriate, (actually a "hill Tribe" refugee), over to the Myanmar border.

My contact, I'll call him Chou, has many charitable organizations in the refugee camps along the border. The refugees are mostly "Hill Tribe people" (we would call them Indians) that have been and are being persecuted by the Government in Myanmar (Burma). It is difficult to get into the camps unless you have Thai government permission.

I submitted my papers last Friday, and should get them today, and leave tomorrow for the border.

Waiting for time to go has presented interesting problems, SUCH AS WHAT TO DO! But yesterday I was glad I had nothing to do because I had a terrible back ache and could barely walk. I know I looked like a really decrepit old man hobbling around town to restaurants and cyber cafes.

Today, I'm almost healed of the pain, so I am just happy to be up and around, and having nothing particular to do is just fine, as long as my back is okay. Good health is a blessing we too often take for granted.

This morning I was telling the lady at my guesthouse that I wanted to pay for today. Not realizing, but understanding, that her limited English consist of knowing: 1. numbers, 2. yes,
3. room here, 4. no water hot , and a few other necessary words for a guesthouse manager.

So this morning I said I wanted to stay today, what she heard was TWO DAY. I did not realize until I got my change back and saw that I was short 120 Baht's. (about $2.75). We got it straightened out with no problem.

The room has a private bath which allows me to wash my clothes, but it has no hot water.
I thought to myself surely it won't be that cold. Well, to me it was "that cold" but I eventually splashed my way through a shower.

So anyway - tomorrow I'm off on a new adventure - The Myanmar refugee camps on the border.

hopefully there will be internet shops around.
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home