Thursday, May 14, 2009

"The Grand Turk Express" - May 14, 2009

This morning I left my hotel about 8:30 and walked (actually the only way) to the bus terminal - I figured I would beat the heat. WRONG - man, it was hot - I was almost soaking wet all over when I arrived at the bus terminal.
After a few inquiries about the bus to Chennai, I put my pack down, and stood in the shadow of a post... yeah... that's right - a post - about 8 inches in diameter - but producing shade. In 15 minutes I started inquiring again and met a man who seemed willing to help, and could speak English. He basically told me to wait right where I was - bus 118 or 119 would be here
shortly.
Then this BIG new shiny bus with AC pulled up, I said is that the bus to Chennai - just sorta joking. The guy said - "Yes". ooohhh ...... this is good - I went to the bus - the drivers confirmed, I got on - it was cool and clean. .... So I picked out my seat - and noticed the drivers were gone, and no one was getting on. But it was cool, so I stayed. Well, about 20 minutes later it's no longer COOL, and I'm still the only passenger.
I'm kicking myself for not asking the drivers -"how long before the bus leaves?" .. So, nothing to do but get off, and wait in the shade of the post, if I could get that spot again. But just about that time, I saw the two drivers heading for the bus, and, yes, sure enough we were leaving in a few minutes and the driver started the bus and the AC!
I took my seat - sat back and smiled. This was going to be a great trip. And it was. The trip took two hours, on AC nice bus, and cost 70 rupees, about $1.35. --- sometimes things just work out wonderfully.
After arriving at bus station in Chennai, I then had to find a bus to the Central Train Station. That done, I crawled on just before it left. Now it got full, and we stopped a lot and exchanged a lot of passengers. It took an hour to get to the station, but the ride wasn't bad, and it cost 4 rupees, about 9 cents. (It was one of those buses you see in movies with people hanging all over and packed inside).
At the Central Train Station, my first thought was to leave my backpack at "left luggage" then check out the station and the area around the station - I've got about 6 hours.
One of my concerns about the 36-hour train trip - is train food (very Indian) all the way. That's too much for me, I think. Well, I found a little stand at the "food court" in the station selling chicken burgers and fried chicken fingers! I had a chicken burger and a small order of fingers for lunch, and they were very good. SO, later this afternoon, I'm going back and stocking up on fingers and burgers!
I found this Internet place across and down the street from the station. I also saw a few restaurants that look like they may have western food, I'm on my way to check them out now,
Then back to the station and wait on THE GRAND TURK to arrive and whisk me off to Delhi.
Be back in touch the 16th from Delhi.
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home