Sunday, May 10, 2009

MAy 10, 2009 - Pudecherry, India








This town is unbelievable. That it is --- in India I mean. The streets have gutters and sidewalks, no trash, and no people living on the streets. It was founded by the French in 1673 or so, and remained under French control until 1958 although India got it's independence in 1947. It is in effect - very nice here. HOT, but with a sea breeze. It's on the Bay of Bengal, has a promenade walk that goes for miles along the coast. No beach - all stones. But very pretty. Lot of nice little restaurants, and hotels. No stink - no garbage in street and sidewalk, and a normal amount of people walking around.
Today I went on a tour. Conducted by the City of Pudecherry. There were three foreigners and 7 Indians.. .. and it lasted 8 hours!!! Definitely got my money's worth , $4.00, and that included lunch on a boat! A good lunch. Indian -- but good anyway.



























One of the places we went was an
800 year old temple. Now if Hollywood wanted to create a temple
this one would fill the bill. It was
dark, creepy,big, and came with
a cast of characters that needed
no make up. I couldn't take photos
inside. The large parade float
in one of the pics is one from this temple
that they use once a year to parade
around town. How do they get under the power lines you may ask. Well
they just take all power lines and telephone lines down for the day of the parade.
The beach has a little different
appearance than in the States. The
dress requirements for women are
a little more "puritan" in India than at home.

At one site, they did not have disposable cups - just wired up "reusable" cups.

And at the botanical gardens I met another BFF. The two guards here just
wanted their photos taken!!! No money, just take my picture!!
They seemed to enjoy their work.

So - anyway - the tour went on and on and on.... 8 hours! I was glad to get back to my little stuffy non ac room and just relax as minute!

I leave tomorrow for - now get this name
- " Mamallapurar". It is a small coastal village, and I do not expect them to have Internet - but who knows - if they do I'll let you know.
IF they don't I'll write next from Chennai (Madras to the old folks).
from Putecherry
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home