Saturday, May 2, 2009

May 2, 2009, American food day in Bombay

Yesterday I closed saying I was going for "tea" at my Hotel Welcome.

Well, I must say - they did good - for what they do. The tea was "chai" which is milk with a little tea, and it's not bad. Many people love it. The "dabs" to eat were adequate amounts of food for a "tea" and were served well. I didn't like them though. They were the same ole brown fried things I had been eating for weeks. But for a native of this country - it was probably very nice.

Then this morning for breakfast - well, it was a success... kinda. They brought me - to the room - an egg omelet with slivers of green peppers , and 4 small pieces of lightly buttered bread - not toast - bread - and 2 cups of milk coffee. The hotel did good.

But then I decided I would find a McDonald's and Pizza Hut and have some real food! It turned out that a McDonald's was not far from the hotel and a little further was a Pizza Hut. I decided to do both for lunch - eating lightly at both!

Well, guess what. McDonald's in Bombay does not have beef hamburgers. They have veggie burgers, and potato (with stuff mixed in) burgers, and chicken and vegetable sandwiches. I ordered a "Salad Sandwich" and a "Chic McGrill". My mouth watering , .... I bit into the "Chic McGrill" only to find out it was/is ground chicken meat (I guess it's chicken - not a chicken fillet) and it was brown and fried and squashy! I was a little disappointed, but it still was better than the things at the train station, but definitely not a re-order. The "salad sandwich" was good .

I guess I should have been suspicious of the Chick McGrill when it only cost 50 cents! The Salad Sandwich cost 60 cents.

Then onward to Pizza Hut. I decided to wait and get a REAL pizza tonight for dinner, so I just ordered some mushroom soup and something like cheese tortillas (forgot the name). It was very nice.

Then - living like a king - at 4:30 I went back to McDonald's, and got a hot fudge Sundae!!! And it was RIGHT ON !!!! I had no problem with anything concerning that baby! So after my Sundae - I walked down the street to a "Barrista LavAzzi" (like Starbucks) and ordered me a Cafe Americano - black , no sugar, size "grande". .... man - it was good, the place was cool, and clean. Let me tell you --- it was nice!

But that's not all. I walked a little further and found a SUBWAY. Now knowing what awaits me on the train tomorrow morning - I decided to order me a 6-inch wholewheat, veggie delite -- with mustard, no mayo, and no oil and vinegar. Hopefully, it will survive til in the morning. To survive it has to withstand traveling, and ME eating it!

So - that's the highlight of my day - eating! But after 6 weeks - it was a reeeal treat!!

I don't think I ever need to come back to Bombay - enjoyed it once - but once is enough.
I get on the train tonight for Bangalore, and my ticket indicates that it is a 24-hour trip, so I guess I will be back on Indian train food for lunch tomorrow! But this trip is 2AC - high class, so it should be comfortable.

My hotel room with the Air Conditioning was really nice - actually, got a little cold, and had to turn it down a little!! Nice problem.

So not a very touristic day - but a GREAT survival day!
All for now
Johnny

2 Comments:

Blogger Pops said...

You are one steely eyed adventurer! After leaving the most populated city, you're now headed for the 3rd most populated BUT, even though you're headed for the equator and a strong sun, the altitude supposedly keeps it cooler than what you've experienced AND its called the Garden City with well educated and friendly people anxious to know about the USA. Yogert in a bag. What will they think of next.

May 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

Well, give the altitude a little credit - but - careful - not too much -. Its hot. And I'm sure there are well educated people here, this is where the book FLAT EARTH was created, but so far, i am having trouble finding people I can understand!
Gittin' out of the city tonite.
Johhny

May 4, 2009 at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home