Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May 12, 2009 Mamallapuram, India -- day 2






Mamallapuram is world famous for stone carvings, and stone carvers, and for the 5 temples shown here.
These five buildings and 3 large animals were all carved out of one
piece of rock! They are very impressive.
They were carved 1400 years ago, and were covered in sand until 200 years ago when the British came and uncovered them...Don't you know that would have been exciting!

These are two of several temples cut out of stone in an other area nearby. Here the temple is in the stone, the other one cut out of the stone.



Then there is the rock that just never finished "the roll"!

And the last picture is of examples of the work many people do here. Making little trinkets for your lawn or garden.

Last night I woke up with a piece of wire or something poking me in my back.
I thought, now, how did a piece of wire get loose from the mattress and stick through the bedding?
I reached behind me - found the wire and twisted it down trying to break it. It broke .............. and then I thought ------ WHERE ARE MY GLASSES!
Yep -- that's right, I had just broken off the left side of my glasses (I don't know what you call that - stem maybe). BROKE IT CLEAN OFF!
Fortunately, being well prepared, I do have another pair in my pack. I have carried an extra pair of glasses for years , and never needed them, and considered not bringing them this trip -- but I'm glad I did!
It's hard being ME!

Ate dinner last night in a restaurant - on the beach- I mean the sand was close - reminded me of a place on the northern coast of Honduras where Jason Berl and I had a good fish dinner. Some "good places" just seem to appear all over the world!

Not much else from here.
Tomorrow is election day in this Province, so everything will be closed. This is the final election - The new government will be known by Thursday.

bye for now
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home