Saturday, May 9, 2009

Leaving Kanyakumarie, May 8,2009

Friday afternoon, I was planning to take the 4:30 p.m. bus north. To this end, I had rented my hotel room for half a day, eaten a light lunch in order to eat again at 3:15 or so, and then leave the restaurant, walk over to my bus - and depart. I had also already purchased a snack pack of three "fried " chicken pieces. I bought them early to insure it was edible on the bus, and not some googhy thing with gravy all over it.

Good plan. Oh yeah, ..... while I was in my room (with HBO TV) - I watched a movie about India. I recommend it to you - although I have not seen the end of the movie, because the electricity went off all over town!! which is pretty much what the movie is about - It is 'OUTSOURCE'.

Anyway - back to my good plan - shortly after the electricity went off, a messenger knocked on my door with a note stating for me to come NOW, the bus was leaving early.

I was already packed, and the electricity was off , so it was no real problem to follow the messenger back down stairs. There a man was waiting for me, to take me to the bus (walking - not in auto). He gave me a new ticket with someones else's name on it, but told me very assuredly that it was no problem! (turned out - not to be a problem, but I was sure nervous every time I had to show it to someone!)

I got on the bus, and there were only two people on board, two French women - mother and daughter - traveling India for 4 weeks. They were also scheduled for the 4:30 bus. The bus left immediately - just the three of us, and took us 30 minutes up the highway to another city, there we were told to wait and our bus would be here at 6 o'clock, over two hours!

We were at an Indian private bus station.... lots of overnight buses, a short concrete wall to sit on (brush away pigeon poop first) under a nice shade tree, and some local food merchant stands. ... NICE ... since the electricity was off at the hotel anyway.

The bus arrives - we get on - my ticket works - I have a good seat - all is good! This bus was what is known as a 2x2 semi-sleeper.

That means it has two seats on each side of bus, and that the chairs REALLY lay back. I mean almost to flat! I like the semi-sleeper better than the sleeper, cause it's easier to get out of a chair than a berth on second tier. Everyone kept all the windows opened, so it was almost cool, didn't sweat too much just sitting.

Then about 10:30 or 11 we stopped for dinner at a Bus stop diner. It was clean, and I got "noodles with vegetables" which I figured was safe, and I understood what it would be. It too was good.

At six thirty the attendant woke me up - man, I was cutting some z's, and told me we were where I got off. Bip -bap - I'm off the bus, next to a city bus station with a zillion buses. I ask about bus to Pudecherry - find it - it is leaving in five minutes. I have time to use restroom (not too bad), get a cup of Chai (hot milk, sugar, and tea), and back on bus. This was a local bus, we filled it up several times before we got to Pudecherry, but it was a good ride - uneventful - cost 60 cents, and took one hour.

SOMETIMES THINGS JUST WORK NICELY. Just another normal day of travel in India. Tell ya about Pudecherry tomorrow - Gotta go - I saw a Pizza Hut up the street!

life is good.

Johnny in Pudecherry

1 Comments:

Blogger Pops said...

If I had to guess I'd say your next stop is Vishakhapatnam. Check out the sea wall in Pudecherry.

May 9, 2009 at 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home