Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday in Bamako

I tried to put some pictures up today from my bus trip and shots around Bamako, but at this internet place, my photos will not even open. As they say here - this is Africa. -
Yesterday I started my journey by leaving the hotel at 5:15 and walking in the dark twenty minutes to the bus station. My theory was, that at that time of day - the bad guys are all asleep, I never really felt threatened during the daylight hours, however, and everyone is very friendly.
So I get to the bus station and find out the bus leaves at 7 not 6. - This is Africa. - after an hour they started putting luggage in storage under bus and on top of bus. I got in line, only to find out that I had not gone to the ticket window when it opened and gotten a number on my ticket. I had bought my ticket the afternoon before. So back to the line at the ticket window, then the line to put my backpack in the luggage storage. These buses have no on board storage, not much under seat room, and in general not much extra space in the bus.
---However, when I gave the man my ticket with a number now on it - he signed languaged me, that he was not taking my bag and to go somewhere on the other side of the bus. Over there nothing. So when time to load up, I just carried my pack with me, and put it in aisle. My bag was only one of many such obstacles in the aisle, from ice chest, to plastic sacks of all kinds of food, to boxes and suitcases.
We left pretty much on our new time - 7:15 - so I thought maybe this would be a smooth ride.
-this is Africa - About 2 hours out we had a flat tire. My third so far in two weeks. 45 minutes later we are on the road again. We stop for lunch early, at 11:30. I got out and found a merchant selling roast goat. For a thousand CFA's, little over two dollars, you get a chopped up piece of goat ribs on an old piece of kraft paper. It was HOT and hard to handle much less eat. It was right off the fire. -the best way!- Well I found some shade to stand in and enjoyed a very tasty piece of goat. - Then the bus was blowing its horn and pulling out. Passengers were running from all over - jumping on the bus with goat meat flying everywhere. Apparently the bus driver did not like lunch and left in 10 minutes instead of the usual 30 to 45 minutes.
Then 30 minutes later he stops again at a pleasant little lunch spot - dirty, crowded, and hot - but the driver only stayed here 5 minutes. The man next to me got left. I yelled out, and others started yelling at the driver, and he stopped and we waited til my seat mate showed up.
-- So then we ride maybe an hour or so, and the driver stops the bus, leaves the motor running, so no one gets off, for a few minutes. I look over into the crowd and there the driver is eating lunch! I get off, then many get off, but we all stay close to the bus! Finally the driver gets what he wants, we all load up, then an argument starts up outside, the driver gets out and watches, I get out and watch, and after about ten minutes , we reboard the bus and head off into the setting West African sun; - this is Africa -
When the bus is not moving, it is very hot, sweat just rolls down your back and face - it's not nice - but it is Africa - .
This was to be a ten hour ride - it was a 12 hour ride. I arrived at the Catholic Mission house, and got a bunk in a dorm room with four other Malians - one man, one young woman, one child and an older man.
I got a bit to eat across the street, it took an hour and a half for a plate of spaghetti, but I enjoyed the company of some Australians traveling in Mali and also staying at the Mission. After dinner I took a cold shower, washed my shirt and underwear, put my mosquito net up, put sheet on bed, put my T shirt on the pillow for a pillow case, and then enjoyed a nice warm and peaceful sleep.
Thank you Lord for little things!
Monday morning, I went with the Australians for a walk around Bamako. It's the same all over. EXCEPT, we went to a beautiful hotel. room rates began at over 200 dollars for a single. We asked to see the room, and they were the nicest thing I have seen so far in this country, by far.
Breakfast was over twenty US dollars. I think I could stay there one day, or 15 days or so where I am. But it sure was pretty.
Dan comes in tonight. He will get in late, then arise early and settle in for a ten to twelve hour bus ride, then we arrive in Mopti and will sleep on the roof. Then things will slow down to a snail's pace as we head to Timbuktou. Hope to get one blog off before we get on the pinasse - the native boat - on the Niger river.
all for now - Johnny
THIS IS AFRICA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home