Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Today's the day!

Well, the calendar finally got to October 14, 2010, the start date for my travels to Timbuktu!

Anna and I stayed in Atlanta last night at my sister's home, Sara and Rene Cote.

This morning Anna will take me to the Marta station near Sara's house and I'll ride it to the airport. With the new security measures in place at airports these days, the old "see ya off at the gate" days are long gone, and there's nothing romantic about saying goodbye in the security line at the Atlanta airport.
So goodbyes will be said at the MARTA station! Now, that's cool!
My flight leaves at 12:49, and I need to be there an hour early, 11:49 and then I add an hour to that to achieve a"no rushed" feeling, so I plan to leave about 10:30 for the airport. MARTA takes about an hour from up here in north Atlanta.

I fly first to Washington D.C., and have about a two-hour layover, leaving Washington on South African Airways at 5:40 p.m. direct to Dakar, Senegal on the west coast of Africa.

I arrive in Dakar at 5:30 a.m. Dakar is 4 hours ahead of us here in Georgia, so, therefore, it is
only an eight-hour flight to Senegal. The South African flight continues on to Johannesburg, South Africa.

Right now its 84 and feels like 91 degrees in Dakar at 11 in the morning, with a high of only 87. The low was 78.

The currency in Senegal and Mali is the West African CFA franc. It is valued on the Euro, which is very strong against the dollar now, so my exchange rate should be about 441 CFA's per US dollar. I hope they have large denominations in bills.

Okay - so I will be out of touch till I get my feet on Senegal soil, and my body has recovered from a LONG day of airports and squnched up seats.

Gonna be fun!
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home