Tuesday, October 6, 2009

One week before departure

Well, things are finally starting to click. Time to leave is getting close. All those things I have put off doing - all of a sudden seem to be urgent now to get them done.

Am waiting for my passport that I sent to the Mali Embassy in Washington for a VISA. Mali requires that you have your visa prior to arrival there. Most countries just issue visas at the
point of Entry.

I think I have packed properly. I have been packing for about a month, and now have my
pack down to 15 pounds plus my day bag, which is kinda of like a "purse", but contains my camera, guide book, hand soap, flashlight, and a few other items that I may need while riding a bus or a shared taxi (more about these later, but basically a long distance mode of transportation, a car with 7 passengers and a driver.)

I also have my hammock with mosquito net, plus a bed sheet sewn up like a sleeping bag. This is for the boat trip - possibly 3 days each way - where we sleep on the deck or in hammocks on the boat, or possibly even ashore. The travel conditions and schedule of each boat seem to be rather vague. The mosquito net can also be used if our hotel does not have screens on the windows. I have a thin silk sleeping bag/sheet to use in hotels of dubious health standards.

Another thing I feel is most necessary is my little "coffee kit". The kit consist of a coffee mug, a jar of Folgers instant coffee that fits into the coffee mug for travel, and an electric hot water heater thing ah'ma'dodgie that goes into the mug of water and heats it up. I have one for 220 volts and one for 110 volts, and four different kinds of electric plugs. Coffee first thing in the morning makes the day better -- ALL DAY! Plus, many places in the world - most places - do not even offer coffee until after 8:00 A.M.

I am making a change in my clothing. On other trips I have always carried a long sleeve shirt, a pair of trousers, 1 pair of underwear, one or two T-shirts, and a pair of quick dry short pants. I have cut that load down. I will not carry the long sleeve shirt nor the short pants. My thinking on this is that the only reason I ever wear the extra shirt is because I have it! And now with a pair of zip-on, zip-off long/short pants, I no longer need the short pants. And two T-shirts were just too many. I like to sleep in a T- shirt.

The only thing worse than carrying too many clothes is having to carry DIRTY clothes in your pack. Therefore at night I wash my shirt and underwear, and sometimes my pants. In the morning, if they are wet, I just put them on anyway and they dry quickly, but most of the time my "quick dry" shirt, underwear, and pants are dry and ready for a new day. I carry two coat hangers, string for a clothes line, two clothes pins, a rubber drain stopper for a sink, and a small bag of soap powder.

Over the next few days I need to get my travel monies all lined up (all the currency I take must be new or nearly new, no markings, not too wrinkled, and no tears. I need to get all the pertinent numbers in my life recorded where they can be found, and thats about it.

I will begin taking malaria medicine today - and will take one pill a week while in Africa, and then continue that for four weeks after returning from Africa.

So - I think I am ready to go - now to enjoy the days before departure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home