Sunday, May 17, 2009

May 17, 2009 - last day in India!

Well, I had three really neat pictures to post, but ... this place not to disappoint me, I can not find a Internet cafe that my photos will even show up in! I hope I haven't lost all of them.

It's kinda hard to believe it's been 59 days since I landed in Calcutta. But it seems forever since the cold weather of Darjeeling.

In Darjeeling I slept in all my clothes plus a wool sweater and heavy corduroy pants, gloves and a wool hat, plus under two thick blankets. Now I sleep in my underwear with nothing but my thin silk sheet that I do not even use until about 3 in the morning. A long time ago Darjeeling, my body tells me.

I had planned to stay in my "delux" hotel room today til 6 p.m. until I went to pay for the half- day and found it was 2/3 day rate.

I checked out and hit the street about 11 this morning. I went to the Bright Hotel. It is $3.00 a day, no half-day rates, so I saved $12.00.

I had plenty of hotels to choose from and here are a few of the non-Indian named hotels, I think designed to catch your attention - but something to keep in mind if you're opening up a budget hotel.
1. Hotel Dimple
2. Hotel Yes Boss
3. Hotel Decent
4. Hotel Jimmy Place
5. Hotel Reception
6. Hotel Silver Shine
7. Hotel Yes Sir (which I stayed in my last trip to Delhi)
7. Guest House Cottage Yes Please

All of these plus about 20 more can be found on main Bazaar Road in Paharganj in Delhi, just across from the New Delhi Train Station .

So without AC I went out on the town and visited a Subway for lunch, a coffee place "Cafe Day" for coffee, and a Wimbys for ice cream. I haven't been in a Wimbys since I was in Nairobi
several years ago.

I will go to the airport tonight about 7 p.m., although my flight doesn't leave til 2 a.m. I just figure I'd as soon be there as here in this lovely nice smelling, clean, town. No, no, that's not true. This place smells bad, is dirty, is trashy, is un-kept, and ugly. Now, that's where I am. All of Delhi is not like that. But I bet 90 % or more is like I just described. And the part that's not is so influenced by what is around it - that its hard to enjoy. SO - THE AIRPORT, although, I don't expect much there either.

Guess what - I am ready to get back to the USA, and Moultrie.

It's been quite a trip - glad I did it - glad it's almost over -

AND THAT'S IT FOLKS - thanks for coming along .
Johnny
ps - when I get home I will try to post photos I have been unable to here.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~Hayes said...

We will miss the blog very much! I have loved traveling with you through India. I'm so glad you decided to do the blog and share your journeys.
Love you,
Hayes

May 18, 2009 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger Pops said...

The blogs and pics were great. Thanks for sharing your adventure. See you in Sunday School!

May 18, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home