Saturday, May 16, 2009

May 16, 2009 - Delhi, India

It's been a couple of days - but I'm still in India and still "travelin!"
Turns out the name of the train is not Grand Turk Express but a rather bland, no color in the name 'Grand TRUNK Express'! Sounds like a baggage train.
BUT the trip was great. As I had told you - it was first class, well not only that, but I was the only one in my cubical for the first 16 hours.
I was worried about what I would eat, and COULD I eat the train food. Well ... little to worry about. I had a good omelette and bread for breakfast, very good chicken and rice for lunch, and chicken Biyani (me nor spell check know how to spell it) for supper. I think I had the same thing for lunch and supper, ...... just did not know the name of lunch.
The trip was a 36 full hours. But very comfortable. Kinda like sitting in your living room and sleeping on the sofa, with plenty of room to walk around, (well - room to walk around anyway) and nice clean toilets. Which brings me to my photo of the day. Which brings me back to reality in Delhi... My computer won't bring up my photos! I'll send it tomorrow.
I am here all day the 16th, today - I arrived at 7:30 this morning, and then I have a half-day hotel tomorrow, and then I will go to the airport about dark thirty to wait there for my flight at 2 a.m. on the 18th. (ain't nothing easy about this travelin stuff.
Got a mid-range hotel with AC here on Main Bazaar Road in Paharganj area of Delhi, near the New Delhi Train Station, The Gold Regency Hotel.
But have had to change rooms already cause the AC only worked for about 20 minutes and then would be off for a LONG long time. When I notified the desk about the problem they would come - leave - come - leave - then come and turn on the AC and say "see it's working". We played this game for a while then they gave me another room when I asked for my money back. $20.00 !!!!! my highest priced room on the trip, but after 36 hours in the AC on the train, I just couldn't go back to the - "comfortable but warm" feeling!
Enjoyed checking out some nice parts of Delhi today. Connaught Place (not sure of the spelling)was the nicest downtown area I've seen in India. But it is but a small portion of a larger "stink bomb!"
Almost finished in India -
Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home